Things to do in October
Start planting bulbs, trees, shrubs, and herbaceous perennials.
- Sow new lawns from seed
- mow lawns for the last time this year
- scarify, aerate and feed existing lawns
- hardy salads and radish, hardy broad beans and peas.
- courgette, beetroot, sweetcorn & potatoes. Also grapes nuts, tomatoes, apples and pears
- Clear summer bedding plants
- take cuttings from geraniums
- collect flower and vegetable seeds
- clear falling autumn leaves
- lift and divide large clumps of vegetables
- turn the compost heap
- net the pond to protect them from leaves
- take hardwood cutting of buddleja, forsythia, willow, flowering current, gooseberries and red/white and blackcurrents